Monday, April 6, 2009

The movie they're afraid to show in Lancaster, CA.

Paul Chappell, one of the friends of the late Bob Gray, my former pastor who was on trial in Jacksonville, Florida for multiple accounts of child molestation, is the pastor of Lancaster Baptist Church in Lancaster, CA. His church and college dominate the city of Lancaster, and the mayor, who is a member of his church, named him the 'Citizen of the Year' about a week ago. I believe they've even had city council meetings in the church.

Here's the article about him being named 'citizen of the year':

Paul Chappell, Citizen of the Year.

This personally incensed me as Chappell did not preach, or make one comment, regarding the Bob Gray situation. If I am mistaken, please let me know.

Actually, LBC is in the same situation Trinity was in before Bob Gray's arrest. All talk and ambiguous internet postings until someone was brave enough to speak out about the abuses.

Soooo, after he was awarded the Citizen of the Year title, I contacted the only freethought group I could find to host a public screening of both DON'T GO IN THE CHURCH and BIBLE MADNESS. I want to do something in Lancaster similar to what I did in Jacksonville on February 9, 2008. That screening, you recall, became the lead story on WTLV-12's 11:00 news.

Here is what I received last night:

Hello, Mr. Walker,

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I've actually
been giving your offer a lot of thought, but I don't think
we're ready for a screening, at least at the moment. Mr.
Chapell is very politically powerful in our town, having played
a large part in getting our currect mayor and at least one
council member elected. Confronting him publicly with your
film could have very serious consequences for our relatively
small group.

I hope you understand our situation, and I wish you all the
best.

----

I'm withholding the name and organization so I won't put anyone in 'danger'.

I understand where they're coming from. I felt the same sense of 'danger' when I went to Jacksonville. Between the anonymous e-mails containing lengthy scriptures threatening judgement, and victims canceling out, there was enough reason to be hesitant.

The fear was just an illusion, though. The meeting went fine. A small contingent of brave people showed up to help shine a light on a grim social problem most would prefer to keep under wraps.

I will still pursue a screening in Lancaster. If there is anyone in Lancaster interested in helping to sponsor a screening, please get in touch with me by writing info@christianschoolconfidential.com.

To check out the movies, visit hereticsofhollywood.com

Here is DON'T GO IN THE CHURCH, which was screened in Jacksonville, Florida:



Here is the news report of the event where DON'T GO IN THE CHURCH was screened:



This time, I promise not to hold a bottle of creme soda in my hand while the media is present!

No comments: