Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Southern Baptists reject database.

Too bad! They were off to such a great start with that document, Protecting Our Children. Maybe they should produce a new one: Protecting Our Ministers?

Hey, can't say I'm not cheerleading the SBC when they take a step in the right direction, though!

That said, there are other crimes Southern Baptist ministers, and those of other denominations, have fallen into besides child molestation and it's resulting collusion. Perhaps SBC officials are afraid if they start a database in one area, there will be calls for creating data bases in other areas? A data base for ministers who robbed their congregation? A database for those who have committed adultery or visited prostitutes? Where will it all end?

There actually is a system in place to deal with molesters and other crooks, though. It's called '911'.

It's an outside system that simply requires we take the first step. In order to use it, we have to stop being mousy with questions like, "Will God be glorified if we call the cops on our child molesting pastor?"

SBC officials will be dancing around eggshells for years on this issue! It's time for families to take the initiative and stop giving these people the moral credibility they don't deserve. That said, it would not surprise me if the reason families are not taking the initiative is because child abuse is so prevalent in our society.

What credibility can you have if you take a bold stand against the SBC, but haven't done anything about Uncle Ernie?

SBC says 'No!' to database.

1 comment:

Megan said...

"...it would not surprise me if the reason families are not taking the initiative is because child abuse is so prevalent in our society."

I'm with you on that! You just gave me a great idea. I can't wait to shake things up in my church's next business meeting. I just might even invite myself to the next SBC associational meeting in our area. This needs to be addressed by people within the SBC churches. If I don't stand up and tell them what a supreme injustice this is, who will? Oooooh, my church is either gonna love me or hate me when I speak out. Wonder which it will be?